Sunday, March 23, 2008

The missing 'I'

I got my boarding pass for my connecting flight from Frankfurt to Mexico at Chennai itself. I had a look and both the boarding passes in my hand, just to see where I'm gonna sit, cauz I had requested for an aisle seat. For the first flight the seat was 51D & for the second one it was 49K. Given that there are a total of 10 seats in a row in the economy class of a Lufthansa Boing (some model) plane, I got that for the first flight the seat is actually an aisle seat. A, B, C & then D ... ok its an aisle seat. Now I started counting for the second flight. A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I & then J. That sums up to 10. But the seat allotted to me as 49K. How is this possible? I counted the sequence again in my head, at least 3 more times, just to be sure. But each time, to my surprise, it ended at J.

I thought of going back to the counter and asking the guy if there was some mistake. But then I thought maybe this is the row at the end or something where they do actually have an "K" labeled seat. I got into my first flight and thought of searching for 49K before finding out my actual seat. As I boarded the plane and reached the economy class, I realized that they don't actually have an "I" seat. The sequence is - A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,J & then K. The "I" was missing. I had been traveling by the same airline, by the same plane, for the past 8 times. I was amazed that how come I never noticed this before.

Did anyone of you know about this missing "I"? Is it only in Lufthansa or they ate it up in other airlines too?

5 Human response(s):

Anonymous said...

Well, I did notice it on my flight the very first time and i was puzzled...but my colleague who was with me already knew it and i got the feeling that its a pretty known fact among regular fliers....I tried to think up the reason for it...and what i guessed is, it is possible that passengers get confused about their seat numbers when an I is present, since it is easily mistaken for 1. Couldnt think of any other reason...and i will be happy to have someone explain it to me too.

Anonymous said...

The title of the post is 'The missing T' or 'The missing I'?

Pratosh Dwivedi said...

^^^
I think this is the reason they didn't print I ... people get confused ... :)

Yes, it is I as in India .. not T as in Tamilnadu ...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reply because I got confused seeing the subject of the post and the content inside it... you were writing about the I for the whole post but you didn’t notice the T in the subject....

Is it that way or you are testing the viewers here as Lufthansa tested you!

Is there any option to edit the subject of the post as well?

Pratosh Dwivedi said...

Ummm .. I dont know where it is going wrong, but the letter in the subject too is "I". It is an "I" in single quotes .. :)

Also, yes, I can change the subject of any post .. but here there is no need :)