Sunday, March 09, 2008

The horror show

Just imagine :-

Its 4 in the morning & you are deep in sleep. The whole house is covered under a sheet of darkness with a small zero watt night bulb spreading some faint green light in the other room.Suddenly one of your room-mates who is sleeping in the same room next to you starts screaming like hell. You have absolutely no idea what’s happening when you see him screaming and running around in the room. You are terrified as if you are in a bad dream when you hear your other room-mate screaming too. A second later you find yourself trying to shout as loud as possible & ask them that what the hell is happening. A moment later the light in the room is switched on and all the three faces in the room are white as a ghost. You try to figure out whats happening when the guy who started screaming first tells you that something is there in the room, most probably a snake, which just went over his right hand and crossed the bed towards the side on which you were sleeping. You don’t know what to say as you are horrified, but still you try to lighten the atmosphere by giggling a bit and furiously checking if really something is there under any of the pillows or mattresses. After 2 minutes of stumbling things here and there it’s finally clear that nothing is there in the room. No one knows what to say as the sudden shock is still getting absorbed.

This was the early morning horror show which happened just two and a half hours back right here in my house. Once the nerves were settled, we decided to switch off the lights again and sleep. Everyone behaved as if it was just a small nightmare and nothing happened. Seeing them lying down quietly on their beds, I thought its only me who is feeling so terrified – still. Finally when I could no longer stand the darkness and the terrible feeling of horror killing me from inside, I announced that now its not possible for me to sleep and I am switching on the lights and going to sit in the other room. It was as if we were just waiting for one among three of us to say that. The next minute we found ourselves sitting in front of the computer and trying to calm ourselves by watching a movie (Jab we met).

I could still feel the chill running down my spine. I was just not able to rise above what has just happened. Suddenly weird things started crossing my mind – how will I sleep in the darkness from tomorrow onwards? – How the hell will I manage alone in the hotel room in Mexico where I would be going in a week from now? – what if really something is there in the house which would suddenly show up once we switch off the lights again? In another half an hour the other two couldn’t bear their heavy heads anymore and retired to the bed with me sitting alone in the other room watching that movie. It was around five in the morning and it was still dark outside. I was waiting for the light to break. I was feeling something very freaky inside me. I just couldn’t stop being afraid – afraid of what I really didn’t know. I decided to pen it down just to extinguish my anxiety and I opened up an empty word document and started writing. As I wrote the first few lines which you can read above, I was practically reliving the entire episode.Once again the fear made its entry and I knew I couldn’t do it anymore. I minimized the word window and started watching the movie again. Every 5 minutes I was trying to find a hint of light outside the partially covered window at the back of my room. Finally at 6:20 AM the movie got finished and it was bright outside. I opened the window, opened the front door and decided to finish what I had started.

Its fully bright outside now & both my friends are peacefully sleeping in the other room. But somehow I am not able to get over with it. Just thinking about what happened I can virtually hear that horrific screaming inside my head right now. Goddddd – I do have a weak heart.

13 Human response(s):

Esther said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Fonceur said...

@ Esther,

Please write your comments in english.

Bossy Bee said...

Man I think spanish scares me more than screams cant understand things in your blog now cant people write in English or shall all of us start off in our very own mother tongues. India thank God has many languages, that we can scare any one off this blog.What say bhaiyya ( brother :)) ?

Bossy Bee said...

I heard you are in Mexico now make sure your room bed and your near vicinity is free of scary things.hmm........... have fun

Esther said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Fonceur said...

Spanish is one of the classic languages. we agree... but if you comment in English, then it will be easier for us poor Indians to understand your viewpoint.

Esther said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
-=A.R.N.=- said...

Hey dude, nice post!
I was just flipping through some blogs and happened to discover yours.

Its funny I had the same thing happen to me once, my roomie woke up screaming "snake" and after we flipped the lights, realized it was just his belt that fell on him from the clothesline!

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Servidor, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://servidor-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Pratosh Dwivedi said...

@All
Its me who suggested Esther to comment in Spanish. That way she can express herself better. As for people who don't know the language, please use the "Google language tool" to get the meaning :)

@Esther
I really appreciate you giving your comments. You are free to express yourself in any way you like. For other people's convenience, you can just put the translated text after you out your comment. But that is purely optional :)

Fonceur said...

eda prathoshee,

oh pinne aaa penkochu eyuthanna mandatharam vaayikkan eni njan google language tooli pootte..

veera pani illa..

poda cherukka avidunnu...


dhayryamundengil ithu paribaasha pedutheda chekkka...

:P

pooooooooooooooooooooooooiiii

Pratosh Dwivedi said...

@Fonceur
Yaar itna to samjha karo ki Malayalam ka translation log google se nahin kar sakte. Aur jin logon ki barabari karne ke liye tum Malayalam mein likh rahe ho unko tumhari tarah acchi english nahin aati. Fir bhi, badi tameez se unhone English mein likhna accept kiya hai. Jaise meine unko suggest kiya tha, tumhe bhi kar raha hoon, ki tumhe poori aazadi hai kisi bhi language mein likhne ki, lekin accha hoga agar tum neeche ek english translation do. Warna tum likhte rahoge aur koi padhega nahin. Lekin aakhir mein faisla tumhara hai. Koi zabardasti nahin hai :)


Friend, you should keep in mind that people cannot translate Malayalam using Google. And the people whom you are imitating by writing in your own language, they dont know english as well as you do. Still, very humbly they have accepted to write in English. Like I suggested them, you too have the full right to write in any language you wish to, but try to give an English translation along with it. Otherwise, you will keep on writing and no one will ever read. But in the end, its your decision. There is no compulsion whasoever.


D00d .. this is the way to do it

Esther said...
This comment has been removed by the author.