Wednesday, March 21, 2007

My Passport Ordeal

Having a passport is something which comes quite naturally to most of us. We either got it when we were in college or just before joining our job or in the worst case, 2 or 3 months after starting with our first job. Passport has become something as important as your degree certificate or say your DOB certificate. Most of the companies today ask for a passport before they let you in.
It's been two years for me since i joined my very first job here in Hexaware and I still dont have a passport. I know its unbelievable so don't open your mouth any wider. I applied for my passport in Delhi while leaving for Chennai in July'2005. The I joined my new job and since there were no immediate plans of any overseas journey I didnt bother how things are going on the Passport front. Then suddenly when friends and acquaintances started going onsite, it dawned upon me to enquire about my passport. I sent my file no to Delhi and came to know that the file has been closed there. So I decided to lodge a fresh application in Chennai. Here is how things have taken shape till now

Jul'05: My first passport Application filed in Delhi

Nov'06: Fresh Application filed in Chennai

Dec'06: I met the passport officer at the police station who took Rs200 and promised to do the verification and send back the file ASAP

Jan'06: I again met the passport officer who still had my file with him and refused to recognize me. I again gave him Rs300, showed all my original docs and got my verification done.

Jan'06: Status of the passport changed "Please meet the PRO on any working day between 10 and 1230 AM"

Jan'06: Met the PRO who asked one of the Chennai addresses to be verified. "Fill up the PP form and submit it. We'll refer your application again"

Feb'06: Met the passport officer yet again, who again failed to recognize me. He verified the second address and again took Rs300.

Mar'06: File sent to Delhi for the verification of the permanent address. Things were done and another Rs500 were fed to the passport Dept.

Today: The status of the passport is the same as it was 2 months back <
"Please meet the PRO on any working day between 10 and 1230 AM">.

Finally I'm planning to go to the Passport office tomorrow and check for the status. You might be thinking why didn't i do that till now. The reason is, even for a simple enquiry, you have to stand for at least 1 and a half hour in the queue & that too in the scorching sun. Lets see what is the next objection they have on my file and how much time and money it'll take to resolve that. I have opportunities of Onsite travel but what I dont have is a passport.

If anyone of you can help me in any way my File Ref no is
A060695 / 06

Current Status
Total Money Spent : Rs 1300

Total Time Elapsed : 5 months

Keep visiting this place for latest updates. :)

3 Human response(s):

Fonceur said...

Great...

I wish you all the best for the passport thing..

I got my passport done soon after my graduation..

That is 5 years back..

:))))

rajiv said...

It does'nt makes me wonder... coz Ur one of the person i evermet who has the Gallons and Gallons of Patience....
I pray for u to get withou any further hiccups in this Passport Process....

In my case, It took me less than 10 days(Thanks to the Tatkaal scheme)
-Rajiv

aks said...

aayega, tera number bhi aayega :P