Monday, April 09, 2007

When I missed the chance

Last Thursday I was chatting with one of my dearest friends on net. It was nothing too prolonged or extended, rather only a simple hi-hello. He replied to some of my usual questions, (Howz the work going on? Whats new at ur end? Had ur food ?) and I did the same for some of his "usuals". Then suddenly he told me "Pratosh, please call me when you find time". He is not the sort of guy who will normally ask anyone to do that, so i thought there must be something serious he wants to discuss. I was sitting in office, a bit busy, so i told him that I'll surely call him later during the day. But among all the disturbances and distractions at office it somehow slipped off my mind that I have to call him. The day went past and I didn't call him. Next day I realized my mistake and gave him a call in the morning. I asked him what the matter was and was there something he wanted to discuss. He replied that there was nothing much important to tell, but only that he was feeling very low yesterday and wanted someone to talk, he asked me to call. This really came as a sad shock to me. My friend wanted to share his feelings with me when he was down & all i did was to forget to call him. I know that i have lost the moment. No matter what he tells now, it'd never be the same as it'd had been yesterday.
This really happens a lot with most if us. Just because we act a bit careless, just because we dont care to spare five mins to call someone, we don't find ourselves there when one of our loved ones needed us. When some of our dear friend wanted us to be there, to just lend a listening ear. In the end, we dont have anything but to repent and regret. Because we know that we have missed the moment, we have missed the chance. The chance to be there when our friend wanted us. After all, friendship is not only meant to share the happiness but the sorrows as well.

1 Human response(s):

aks said...

well it really happens with all of us in out life, specially when we are so much occupied with our work. It has happened with me also that i have forgotten to call someone when someone needed me. But its not like that i dont care for him. We know in our life that who are our closest and dearest friends and we know who all care for us. So maybe if someone forgot to call back or anything we know it might have slipped from his mind or whatever and we still know that the person is till same for us.