Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Of India & Indians

There is so much pride we Indians associate with our country. But you will be surprised to know the outlook of people who see the country from outside it’s borders. These people don’t belong to the uneducated or ignorant lot, but are those who hold masters degrees in finance, who are heading the entire finance departments of big firms, who listen to news daily and are well aware of the world-affairs. Just have a look at some comments I came across on my beloved country & some questions I had to answer, that too patiently.

  • Are women allowed to touch anyone else other than their husband, father & brothers?
  • You have only one brother?? I have heard that each family has 8-9 children in India.
  • India is land of 1100 million people, who share water, bedroom & bathroom. But apart from this over-crowding, it is a nice place.
  • The govt spends most of the money protecting cows, then some on protecting other animals and whatever is left, on humans.
  • People have to often leave the country for better development (note the word) and to feed their many children.
  • India has the largest film production in the world, because the government spends most of its funds on Bollywood instead of feeding it’s people.
  • Indian people eat only twice a day, have unsafe s*x and beat their wives daily.



14 Human response(s):

Unknown said...

Hey, I seem to have missed 4 posts in a row... you started blogging regularly?! Cool.
1. I personally think its impossible for a foreigner to understand the true essence of being Indian no matter how close/far they are(vice versa applies too)
2. Being in the middle east is an equivalent of being in KK Nagar with tall buildings, 8-lane roads and posh cars. I dont miss India a bit except for the family.
3. Happiness is a state of being. Just be. The moment one starts 'trying' to be happy, the state is lost forever.
4. Yeah, DOOd is a wonderful person. I only wish he finds a partner who is as wonderful as him.

Pratosh Dwivedi said...

:)As always, I like your comments ...
Also FYI .. i have updated my movie blog too ;)

Anonymous said...

Some of the comments actually make sense! We need to change but then "we" are too many!


Good work with the blog!

Pratosh Dwivedi said...

Maybe somewhere deep inside, they actually point towards the reality ... but still, hurts a bit when u hear them from someone not one among 'us' :)

Bossy Bee said...

You seem to be in a part of the world which seems to have blinders on and is rude to boot or may be its a case of birds of a feather flocking together and Mr.Softee theres no 'us' who are in that particular 'reality 'nor an 'us' to be proud of so don't hurt when you hear it from someone not 'us' just the big wide gap between the 'Developed' and the rest.

Pratosh Dwivedi said...

No 'us' to be proud of? I think there is. Its this identity called 'us' which exists in my mind and gives me the feeling of belonging to my country.

Nullifying this 'us' is liquidating my 'Indian' identity.

Am in Mexico at the moment, which by now means i can call a part of the developed part. It can more or less be treated on par with India. Thats the reason such comments from the members of an educated lot seem to be surprising.

Bossy Bee said...

I appreciate you patriotism and concern and wish you were as informed.
On par ????
Do compare how long each have been independent for and the per capita income the density of population and to top it all the number of languages and the various other socio politico concerns.
And where did you say you are ?? and you feel indignant at "People have to often leave the country for better development (note the word) and to feed their many children" Get back 'we' have fertile land and of course 'we' need more food to eat more times per day and of course rural India needs some moral lessons from the debauch Urbanites the 'us' .
But Mr.Softee I appreciate your Patriotism and concern.

Pratosh Dwivedi said...

When I said "on par" i was not going into details like population density or per capita income. If you compare that way, you wont find any parallels to India ... even in the developing world.

As far as Mexico is concerned, and if you look at the facts and figures carefully, to which u seem to be utterly obsessed :), India is much faster developing economy and better than them in more than one respect. What hurts me is people being totally uninformed of the merits if the country and have a prejudice which is guided by completely nonsense misconceptions.

Also, I think you got my post entirely wrong. I never justified the comments i got ... Am having exactly the same perspective as you r having ... thats why i pity their ignorance .. and find it difficult explaining things to them.

Bossy Bee said...

But you will be surprised to know the outlook of people who see the country from outside it’s borders. These people don’t belong to the uneducated or ignorant lot, ;-- now you know better
And sir stop ruing over the perspectives of other people thats why i said in the comment not to hurt.What is it that we can do about the population and the cows and the cultural and religious anathemas.Yes we can do something about the government but the ones who want to do something are far outnumbered by the ones who are indifferent and happy the way they 'we' 'us' are .

Pratosh Dwivedi said...

Its not called "ruing". Just as I will feel bad when someone says something wrong about my brother/sister or my best friend, though I know its not true, same way I feel bad when someone does the same to my country. I understand the difference between truth and illusion, but still when it comes to my country, every word said in the wrong way will definitely hurt my soul.

Bossy Bee said...

hmm............... sensitive nice to see you are yet to reach a common friends level of indifference Nice

Anonymous said...

Wow! I thought blogs were for public but looks like its as good as a private chat window for these guys!!! And someone is really very particular on having the last word!

Anonymous said...

Yappa..

Papaji/Rubeena,

what is this..?? I think you guys need to consult a good psychologist.

Pratosh Dwivedi said...

Ah see puto ??