Saturday, January 12, 2008

End of a Legend


Courtesy HT - 12th Jan'08 - Delhi Edtn

I first came to know about him when I was in class 2nd and we were asked to learn by heart, a list of "World's firsts"; the first man to conquer the highest peak on earth, Mt Everest - Sir Edmund Hillary of NewZealand. It was just a name then. But later when I read about him, I was able to put a man behind that name. A man who relentlessly followed his passion till the time he died. A man who left an indelible footprint on the highest point on this earth. A man who will always be remembered through textbooks, record-books and through stories of courage and a rock-hard will.

"We knocked that bastard off", were his words when he scaled the Mt Everest in May 1953. I pay my tribute to the legend. Few people have the courage to follow their dreams, and those who do are remembered by millions, even long after they are gone.

0 Human response(s):